The Chinese Language Teachers Association, USA (CLTA) is now calling for proposals for its 2020 annual conference to be held at the Hilton Hotel at Washington Dulles Airport on April 3-5, 2020. The objective of the annual conference is to provide a forum for Chinese teachers, scholars and school administrators to exchange ideas and report the latest results in their teaching and research in the areas of Chinese language acquisition, pedagogy, grammar, or new instructional technology. In addition, the 5th Regional Association Conference will be held during the 2020 CLTA Annual Conference and representatives of the Regional Associations will report their best practices and their Professional Development Projects with support from CLTA. We encourage Chinese teachers and researchers all over the world (including non-members of CLTA) to submit a proposal to share their teaching experiences and research results.
Proposal Submission and Deadline
Proposals, written in either English or Chinese, are acceptable. Please submit your proposal before October 1, 2019. One person can only submit one proposal except invited workshop presenters. All proposals will be reviewed anonymously. Acceptance of proposals will be notified through email by November 1, 2019.
Three types of proposals are accepted. Please indicate your proposal category at the beginning.
- Individual Papers. This category is for proposals to present research results for a twenty-minute session (including Q&A). The proposal must include a. name(s) of the presenter(s), contact information, and professional affiliation(s); b. the title and abstract, which should not exceed 300 English words or 450 Chinese characters; c. a summary with no more than 60 English words, or 90 Chinese characters, to be used in the program.
- Panels. This category is for an hour-long panel comprised with three, or four, presentations on a common theme. The presentations can be related to empirical studies, or explore issues between theory and practice. Each panel must have a representative submitting a proposal, which should include a. names of the panelists, contact information, and professional affiliations; b. the main theme of the panel; c. individual topics and abstracts, each of which should not exceed 500 English words or 750 Chinese characters in total; d. a summary of the panel not exceeding 100 English words, or 150 Chinese characters, to be used in the conference program.
- Technique Demonstrations. This category is for proposals to present a demonstration to share with colleagues interesting and effective teaching activities in an eight-minute session. The demonstration should focus on a language skill, a linguistic construction/lexical item, or any other learning objective. The proposal should include a. name(s) of the presenter(s), contact information, and affiliation(s); b. the name of the demonstrated activity; c. a brief introduction not exceeding 100 English words, or 150 Chinese characters, specifying the targeted proficiency level, specific linguistic construction for which the activity is intended, and/or language skill(s) the activity aims to develop.
In addition, the CLTA Conference Committee and subcommittees will organize the following events:
- Professional Development Workshops. This one-hour professional workshop aims to enhance participants’ professional knowledge/skills in language acquisition theories, research methods, material developments/analyses, teaching technique or job interview. Additional fees will be charged to the participants.
- Roundtable Forum. Six to eight speakers and a moderator will be invited to form a panel and discuss different views on a topic. The time duration is two hours. Each speaker can make a brief presentation on his/her view for five to eight minutes. The rest of the time will be devoted to interaction with audience.
Conference Contact Information
All inquiries about the annual meeting should be sent to: AnnualMeetingCLTA@gmail.com
Award Categories (and Award Submission/Inquiry Email Address)
- The Tao-chung Ted Yao Memorial Awards: email@example.com
- The K-12 Presentation Awards: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Cheng & Tsui SIG Awards: email@example.com
Submission deadline: same as the conference proposal submission deadline (Oct. 1, 2019). Please submit a separate application package to the respective CLTA subcommittees at the emails listed above while submitting conference proposals
Please note that CLTA has several other non-presentation awards including: Cengage Learning Award, CLTA Action Research Award, Cheng & Tsui Professional Development Award, and Jiede Empirical Research Award. For detailed information, please check at https://clta-us.org/awards/. Aside from specific eligibility rules set for each individual award, the following rules apply to all award categories:
- Each year one applicant can only apply for one award;
- Previous awardees should not apply for the same award;
- Awarded projects cannot be used to apply for other awards;
- Only CLTA members are eligible to apply.
Professional Development Point (PDP) Certificate
All k-12 teachers who register the conference and need a PDP certificate, please email the CLTA Headquarters at firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Registration Rates for the 2020 CLTA Annual Conference *
|The registration rates cover the meals during the conference (two dinners and one lunch). Breakfast is included in the hotel room rate.
We are looking forward to seeing you at the 2020 CLTA Annual Conference in Washington D.C.
YUAN Fangyuan 袁芳远 (conference chair)
HE Baozhang 何宝璋 (conference officer)
LI Shuai 郦帅 & XU Yi 许怡 (conference program)
WU Sue-mei 吴素美 (CLTA Headquarters)