The Department of Asian and Slavic Languages and Literatures at The University of Iowa is searching for a visiting faculty position beginning in August 2020 to teach courses in Chinese language. The initial appointment will be for one year, with a possible reappointment of one additional year, pending College approval and demonstrated excellence in teaching. Salary will be commensurate on rank. Responsibilities include: teaching three classes (up to 12-13 credit hours) per semester from lower to upper level language courses and assisting the Chinese program coordinator with program development.
- Ph.D. or ABD in Second Language Acquisition with focus on Chinese
- Native or near native fluency in Chinese and English
- Extensive experience in teaching Chinese at the college/university level in North America
- Extensive experience in online Chinese course development, administration, and instruction
- Extensive experience in courseware and course website design for different levels of Chinese courses
- Organizing cultural activities
To apply, please visit jobs.uiowa.edu and reference Requisition #73937. The application materials must include a letter of application, a curriculum vitae, samples of the most recent course evaluation by students, three letters of recommendation, and a videotape of 30-minute Chinese class taught by the applicant. (Note: Please post the teaching videotape online and indicate URL in the letter of application and the curriculum vitae). Deadline for application is May 4, 2020. Screening begins immediately, with interviews conducted by telephone or videoconference after May 4, 2020.
The Department of Asian and Slavic Languages and Literatures, the Division of World Languages, Literatures and Cultures, and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences are strongly committed to gender and ethnic diversity; the strategic plans of the University, College, Division, and Department reflect this commitment. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. The University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action Employer.