The Department of Asian and Middle Eastern Studies seeks an excellent instructor of Chinese language with skills in pedagogical innovation and leadership. The Director supervises a program of 4+ instructors and reports directly to the Chair of the Department. The Director joins five other language program Directors in the Department. The Director’s responsibilities include:
• Ability to teach all levels of Chinese
• Leadership of the Chinese program
• Coordination of curriculum and teaching assignments, including summer session instruction
• Development of materials as needed
• Supervision of graduate teaching assistants and new teacher training
• Annual Evaluation of teaching staff
• Collaboration with other language programs and faculty members within the department, and with other units (CLA Language Center, CARLA, Chinese Flagship Program)
• Professional development
• Program website oversight
• Outreach to community
Required qualifications for appointment to rank of Lecturer:
1. Ph.D. or foreign equivalent in the relevant field, or a related field.
2. In the case of language instruction, skill in the language of instruction as appropriate for the position; in the case of modern languages, native or near-native fluency.
3. Positive evaluations from students, peers, and/or supervisors.
4. Demonstration of commitment to quality teaching and program development.
5. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
1. Positive evaluations from students, Teaching Assistants (if appropriate), peers, and supervisors.
2. Demonstration of commitment to quality teaching, program development, and professional development.
3. Effective handling of student inquiries.
Position begins Fall semester 2022. Minimum annual salary is $55,000+ depending on qualifications and experience.
Applicants should submit the following materials on the UMN employment website for job ID 341455: (1) cover letter, (2) CV with the names of 3 references, (3) statement of teaching and leadership philosophy, and (4) three sample syllabi. Application deadline: November 1, 2021.
For more information about the Department of Asian & Middle Eastern Studies, please visit https://cla.umn.edu/asian-middle-eastern-studies