From the President
Source: CLTA Newsletter 23.1. March 1999.
The term of a CLTA officer runs from the end of the General Meeting one year to the next. It has been three months since Scott McGinnis handed me this office in Chicago; I am enjoying the privilege and challenge, but nonetheless look forward to Friday, November 19, when I pass it on to KE Chuanren in Atlanta, I hope having approached the standards set by my eminent predecessors.
Your Board of Directors/Officers include many inspired and hardworking professionals. Here are some of their accomplishments these past three months.
* The 1998 Membership Directory was completed and mailed in late January to all paid CLTA members. Thank you, Madeline Chu (CLTA Executive Director).
* The Board and Officers (working via e-mail) have approved a new CLTA dues schedule, effective January 1, 2000. This schedule follows the model of the Association of Asian Studies, and is intended to encourage participation by students and international members.
The following compares the old and new schedules:
Current schedule (effective through December, 1999)
New schedule (beginning January 1, 2000). Note that there will be NO DIFFERENCE between domestic and international rates.
INCOME CATEGORY CLTA*
$20,000 or Under $25
$21,000 - $30,000 $35
$31,000 - $45,000 $50
$46,000 - $60,000 $60
$61,000 - $75,000 $70
$76,000 or Over $80
*If dues are received by February 1. Thereafter, please add $5.
* Congratulations to Tao-chung (Ted) Yao, CLTA Newsletter Editor, who has successfully installed the Newsletter online. Future issues will appear on the Web shortly after hardcopies are delivered via the mail.
* The CLTA website is growing exponentially thanks to Webmaster Marjorie Chan and the other members of the web-team, who have linked our site to an impressive array of other related sites. Check it out, and prepare to linger a while after you log on!
* Xie Tianwei, Chair of the 1999 Annual Meeting, is hard at work with his committee, evaluating and organizing papers and panels. Audrey Li, Nominations Committee Chair, is working with others to prepare an impressive slate of candidates.
Happy Year of the Rabbit to everyone! Please contact me at email@example.com if you’d like to discuss anything at all.