The Chinese Language Teachers Association, U.S.A. 2021 Virtual Conference
(April 6 – 11, 2021)
Announcement & Call for Proposals
The 2021 Conference of the Chinese Language Teachers Association, U.S.A. (CLTA) will be held virtually on Zoom during April 6 –11, 2021. The annual conference will provide a forum for Chinese teachers, scholars, and school administrators to exchange ideas and report the latest results in their teaching and research in the areas of Chinese language acquisition, pedagogy, grammar, or new instructional technology. In addition, the 5th Regional Association Conference will be held during the 2021 CLTA Annual Conference and representatives of the Regional Associations will report their best practices and their professional development projects with support from the CLTA.
1. Accepted proposals from the 2020 Conference Program
To ensure that your accepted proposals (including individual paper presentations, panels, and technique demonstrations) for the 2020 Conference Program are included in the 2021 Virtual Conference Program, all presenters (or at least one primary representative for panels) should register for the 2021 virtual conference before December 15, 2020. After this date, the remaining presentation slots will be given to new roundtable proposals.
2. Call for roundtable proposals in 2021 Conference
The conference welcomes new proposals for one-hour roundtable discussions. Roundtable discussions are suited for exchanging points of views between presenters and attendees. Roundtable discussions are not the collection of a few independent projects, but are opportunities for extended, in-depth dialogues of one specific coherent topic, with different points of views represented. We especially welcome discussions on issues of current concerns and interests.
Each roundtable should consist of four to five speakers and a moderator. Roundtable should be structured in a way that engages both audience and speakers. Each speaker can plan on giving brief presentations for five to eight minutes, with the rest of the time (approximately 20 to 30 minutes) allocated to whole-group discussions.
Those interested should submit:
- A proposal that includes a brief introduction of the issue, different aspects to be discussed, and the topic’s significance. The proposal should have no identifying information and should not exceed 350 English words or 500 Chinese characters in total;
- A separate file with each presenter’s and moderator’s name, contact information, and affiliations. Each proposal should have one designated primary contact person.
Please submit your proposal with the above attachment to AnnualMeetingCLTA@gmail.com with the subject line “Roundtable proposal for 2021 conference” before December 15, 2020 Your name can appear in ONLY ONE roundtable proposal. You can still be part of a roundtable proposal even if you are presenting an individual paper, a technical demonstration, or in a panel.
All proposals will go through double-blind reviews. Due to limitations of presentation slots, acceptance of roundtable proposals may be highly selective. By January 5, 2021, notice of acceptance will be sent to the primary contact author’s email. By January 31, 2021, roundtable presenters whose proposals are accepted should register for the conference to ensure inclusion of their proposals in the program.
(Note: Because accepted proposals in 2020 are moved to the 2021 Conference, there is no new call for individual paper presentations, technical demos, or panels. Two plenary two-hour roundtable sessions and two workshops, previously planned for the 2020 Conference, are kept for the 2021 Conference Program. The one-hour roundtable discussion proposals, solicited above, are different from the plenary roundtable sessions, which were planned through invitations.)
3. Awards and professional development point
The following awards may be pertinent to conference presenters. Each award has its own application process and selection committees. Application details and deadlines will be announced by the responsible committees later.
- The Tao-chung Ted Yao Memorial Awards: Inquiries should be directed to the CLTA Award Committee (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- CLTA K-12 Presentation Awards: Inquiries should be directed to the CLTA K12 committee at email@example.com.
- Cheng & Tsui SIG award: This award is for Special Interest Groups. Inquiries should be directed to the Professional Development & SIG committee at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire.
Professional Development Point (PDP) Certificate
All K-12 teachers who register for the conference and need a PDP certificate can email the CLTA Headquarters at email@example.com.
To register, please go to https://clta-us.org/clta-annual-conference/. To encourage such scholarly exchanges on the virtual platform, we are offering low conference registration fees for the 2021 conference. See rates under important dates, below.
Important dates for registration and deadlines
– Register by this date to include your 2020 proposals in the 2021 program;
– Deadline for new roundtable proposals for the 2021 Conference.
– Last day to get the advanced rate for the 2021 Conference registration (Member rates: $40; Non-member rates: $60)
– For presenters whose roundtable proposals have been accepted, register by this date to include your roundtable in the program.
– Regular registration rate (Member rates: $60; Non-member rates: $80)
– Last day of registration
Information and updates of the conference will be posted on http://clta-us.org/clta-annual-conference/. Inquiries about the annual meeting should be sent to AnnualMeetingCLTA@gmail.com. We look forward to seeing you at the CLTA 2021 Virtual Conference online.
CLTA 2021 Annual Conference Organizing committee:
- XU Yi 许怡 (Conference Chair)
- LI Shuai 郦帅; ZHU Yongping 朱永平 (Conference Program Chairs)
- DA Jun 笪骏 (Technology Specialist)
- HE Baozhang 何宝璋 (Conference Officer)
- WU Sue-mei 吴素美 (CLTA Headquarters)
- YUAN Fangyuan 袁芳远 (Immediate Past President)