Presidio Knolls School (PKS), an innovative Mandarin immersion elementary school in San Francisco, is seeking an exceptional Grade 3 Mandarin immersion teacher.
Founded in 2008 Presidio Knolls School (PKS) has grown rapidly establishing a unique position in Bay Area’s independent school community through its blend of progressive education and Mandarin immersion. Today, the school enrolls 319 students in preschool through fifth grade, and will continue to add one grade per year until 2020 when there will be a full preschool through eighth grade. The mission of Presidio Knolls School is unique in its blending of progressive education and Mandarin immersion—a curricular combination that has caught on with families across the Bay Area.
The progressive philosophy of Presidio Knolls School embraces kids as co-collaborators in their education—helping children to shape their own learning journey toward topics of greatest interest. The school has a commitment to social-emotional learning that pervades the culture of the school.
The PKS curriculum is project-based and interdisciplinary. Units of Exploration integrate math, science, social studies, art, drama, and movement around overarching topics of inquiry in English and Chinese, contextualizing all learning through a real-world lens. Critical to this approach is hands-on, experiential instruction. As such, learning often takes place outside of the classroom.
Grade 3 Mandarin Immersion Homeroom Teacher
PKS is seeking an exceptional elementary homeroom teacher with native level fluency in mandarin and expertise in teaching simplified Chinese to help develop our thriving and vibrant elementary school program. We are looking for a passionate, committed educator with experience in teaching self-contained classrooms, including math science and social studies within an inquiry based mandarin immersion context. We are seeking a teacher who has an entrepreneurial spirit, can employ modern instructional strategies in the classroom, and have aspirations to grow professionally with the long-term vision of the school.
• Create a warm and caring classroom community
• Create a classroom space that is differentiated, engaging, responsive, and beautiful
• Identify and respond to individual students’ social and emotional needs, including learning differences in collaboration with Learning Specialist and Counselor
• Integrate technology as appropriate
• Create enrichment and extension opportunities for advanced students
• Use a variety of teaching techniques and strategies to engage students in learning
• Plan, design, and implement authentic assessment of student progress
• Plan and develop curricula and assessments with Grade 3 Team
• Write progress reports and conference with parents
• Participate in reflection and coaching activities
• Use documentation to make learning visible to the children and families; contribute to student portfolios
Skills & Qualifications
• Joy in working with children and assisting their progress
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience teaching in respective grade level, preferably in an immersion program
• Bilingual and bi-literate in Mandarin Chinese and English with native Mandarin Chinese proficiency, including ability to teach simplified and pinyin writing systems.
• Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree desirable, CSET, CBEST, BCLAD or home country certification a plus: (http://www.ctc.ca.gov)
• Proven track record in achieving strong academic results using progressive educational best practices, specifically guided inquiry or project approach
• Contagious enthusiasm and charisma; the ability to engage and inspire students, parents and colleagues
• Creativity, excellent multitasking skills, and ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial start-up environment
• Outstanding verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Must have or be able to attain authorization to work in the US
• Must be able to pass a Livescan background check permitting employment in a school / childcare facility
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and résumé to email@example.com. Please state the position of Grade 3 Mandarin Homeroom Teacher in the email subject line.
PKS offers a competitive compensation package commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Presidio Knolls School offers equal opportunity to all, is non-discriminatory and encourages candidates with diverse backgrounds to apply. Employment will be contingent upon successful completion of background check.