The Center for Language Education (CLE) at Johns Hopkins University invites applications for a full-time Lecturer in CHINESE for the Academic Year 2019.
CLE is seeking an individual who is finishing up or has recently finished his/her MA or PhD with knowledge and familiarity in the most up-to-date theory and practice of language pedagogy. Faculty in the CLE share a consistent teaching philosophy across each of the language programs, and the Center offers workshops for professional development and communication of current methodologies in language teaching. Applicants should be open to furthering his/her teaching skills and working closely with fellow CLE faculty members. At least 2 years of experience as a Teaching Assistant or Lecturer in the Chinese language is strongly desired.
Responsibilities of the successful candidate include teaching a total of 12 contact hours per week. Minimum qualifications are:
– M.A. in Chinese Studies (with specialization in linguistics and pedagogy, applied linguistics or a closely related field)
– Native or near-native fluency in Chinese and English
– At least 2 years of experience (as a Teaching Assistant etc.) in teaching Chinese as a foreign language at the university level in the U.S.
– Strong grounding in proficiency-oriented teaching
– Strong computer literacy (PowerPoint, Excel, etc.).
– Must currently be eligible to be employed in the U.S.
Interested candidates must submit their application and all supporting materials by March 1, 2019, and include:
1. Letter of application (cover letter) including statement of teaching philosophy
2. Curriculum vitae
3. List of names and email addresses only of three references
4. A video demonstration of your teaching including an introduction of yourself in English and Chinese at the beginning of the video. (We do not accept DVDs by surface mail. A YouTube link address with password is acceptable.)
Your application is not considered complete until all four items above have been submitted. Please do not submit materials other than those listed via Interfolio, otherwise your application will not be considered.
To apply for this position please visit https://apply.interfolio.com/