Job ID: HC20170804-46076
The College Board, the national educational organization, is conducting a search for a Director, Instructional & PD Resource Development – Asian Languages for the Advanced Placement (AP®) Program.
The ideal candidate has a background in Chinese and Japanese as well as teaching AP courses and/or the related introductory course at a college or university as well as developing and designing instructional resources for teachers.
The successful candidate will design, develop instructional and professional development materials and resources for AP courses based research-based strategies and ensure pedagogical alignment and editorial style consistency throughout AP program content.
Advanced Placement is a rigorous academic program built on the commitment, passion and hard work of students and educators from secondary schools and higher education. With more than 30 courses in a wide variety of subject areas, AP provides willing and academically prepared high school students with the opportunity to study and learn at the college level. Learn more at http://press.collegeboard.org/ap/
Manage and create content, instructional design, and overall development of professional development and instructional resources for AP teachers. Direct and develop content, work with staff as appropriate to manage writers, editors, consultants, expert reviewers, external partners in the creation and review of content for instructional resources and professional development opportunities, including on-line resources
Responsible for ensuring pedagogical alignment and editorial style consistency throughout the resources and products.
• Manage content development and production of new and revision of existing instructional and professional development resources and products and services (print, on-line, face-to-face) for AP courses.
• Develop and enact plans to expand participation and improve performance in assigned AP Chinese and Japanese courses.
• Build relationships with disciplinary associations, attend and participate at national and regional meetings of professional associations to recruit individuals to participate in the development of effective teacher support materials and professional learning opportunities.
• Collaborate with external partners in the creation and review of instructional resources, both print and on-line.
• Lead multiple committees of subject-matter experts, typically college professors and secondary school teachers, training them on curriculum and assessment development protocols, and facilitating communication between academics and technical experts (test developers and psychometricians) and other College Board staff.
• Plan and lead committee meetings; reviewing committee work, and maintaining all necessary committee communications as well as communications with CB (Note: this position requires multiple weekend and evening meetings each year).
• Maintain a familiarity with current research and best practices related to curriculum development, instructional pedagogies, and assessment; participate in regular discussions with other staff members on the current professional literature to build a set of common, shared beliefs about AP’s direction within the larger educational community.
• Develop and collaborate on the development of content for instructional and professional development resources.
• Create AP professional development interventions and materials, based on quantitative and qualitative course and exam data and improve the quality and availability of AP professional development events.
• Ensure resources and products are aligned to curricular frameworks, best practice, product vision and editorial style.
• Review communication materials about the revised curricula, exams, and professional learning opportunities
• Work on a team of internal and external subject-matter-experts to develop AP’s instructional and professional development content.
• Achieve the overall goal of creating best practice interactive and rich PD experiences that improve AP teacher effectiveness and AP student success.
• Recommend strategies and approaches that will help the program effectively scale to support and encourage high usage across urban, suburban and rural districts geographically distributed.
• Support translating the existing PD model to effectively address the needs of AP teachers in that discipline
• Work with consultants, content experts and reviewers, and PD staff to direct and conduct background research to help determine professional development content; supervises freelance staff; evaluates professional Development’s status in the field, particularly in terms of instructional design; coordinates instructional design components with other departments/divisions/consultants assessing success and feasibility for continued projects.
• Provide development and production management of PD Workshops including new production and revisions to existing product, piloting, including participant’s manuals, leader’s notes and leaders presentation.
• Manage piloting of instructional resources; PD Workshops and products, including informing pilot design and logistical operations.
• Stay current on research, best practice, developments and trends, and innovations in cognitive science, teaching and learning, instructional design, adult learning, and in the specialized content areas.
• Develop resources for coaching trainers on workshop delivery and consistent program messaging.
• Collaborate with the instructional design team on the design and development interdisciplinary and/or non-content specific materials such as teaching coaching, instructional strategies, etc.
• Ensure instructional/pedagogical consistency within and across disciplines, aligning to AP instructional design principles, incorporating challenge-area research, addressing literacy issues, representing course scope, etc.
• Collaborate with internal and external staff on the production of instructional and professional development resources, including providing input and guidance on effective design that will best communicate to teachers and students and adhering to agreed upon style, deadlines, and other guidelines
• Bachelor’s Degree in teaching Chinese and/or Japanese.
• High School or College teaching experience preferred (AP teaching experience preferred)
• Designing and development inof structional or PD resources or other adult-learning preferred
• Experience in curriculum design and development
• Knowledge of the Understanding by Design Curriculum Development Framework.
• Experience in assessment development.
• Experience with design and implementation of professional development
• Ability to conduct research on instructional topics, methods and media.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office, Adobe Professional and using Internet applications
• Excellent organizational and planning skills, including attention to detail.
• Ability to effectively handle multiple tasks.
• Travel: 30 % Evenings/Weekends:
• This position requires multiple evening and weekend meetings each year.
We offer our employees an outstanding benefits package which includes 4 weeks of paid time off, a generous retirement plan, tuition reimbursement and ongoing professional development and training.
The College Board’s mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. We are a not-for-profit membership organization committed to excellence and equity in education. Among our best-known products are the SAT®, PSAT/NMSQT®, and Advanced Placement Program®.
If you are interested in this position and you meet our qualifications, please apply by visiting our Careers page at www.collegeboard.org/careersand submitting your resume and cover letter. The College Board is committed to diversity in the workplace and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College Board participates in E-Verify, a service of DHS and SSA, where required.
Desired Travel 25% – 50%
Areas of Expertise Curriculum Design/Development
Highest Level of Education Master’s Degree
Job Type Full Time
Location Chicago, IL, Reston, VA, Los Angeles, CA, Duluth, GA, Austin, TX, San Jose, CA, New York, NY, Tallahassee, FL, Waltham, MA
Years of Relevant Experience 4-5
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/gm2j6y3z2t4pkqtz