Western Washington University
Assistant Professor of Chinese
About the Position: The Department of Modern and Classical Languages at Western Washington University is inviting applications for a tenure-track position at the rank of Assistant Professor beginning September 2017. We seek a generalist in Chinese literature or culture. This position is interdisciplinary, with primary teaching responsibilities in Chinese language and literature, as well as general survey courses focused on East Asian civilization and/or culture.
Position Responsibilities: Standard quarter-system teaching assignment (3-2-2); exemplary teaching; active program of scholarly activity; service to the Chinese section, to the Department, to the College and to the University through a range of activities.
• PhD in Chinese literature, Chinese culture, East Asian Studies, or related field with significant emphasis in Chinese literature or culture by time of appointment
• Native or near native Chinese and English fluency
• Demonstrated evidence of excellence in teaching
• Ability to teach language at all levels of the curriculum and content courses in Chinese literature, culture, and East Asian civilization or culture
• Demonstrated commitment to excellence in scholarship and a dynamic research agenda
• Ability to work effectively with diverse students and colleagues
Application Instructions: Application materials must be submitted via WWU’s Electronic application System for Employment (EASE) athttp://www.wwu.edu/jobs. Candidates should upload (1) a letter of application describing teaching philosophy and research plans, (2) curriculum vitae, (3) graduate school transcripts, and (4) a sampling of teaching evaluations. Additionally, three letters of reference (at least one of the letters should address teaching effectiveness) must be sent via email to email@example.com.
Closing Date Notes: Review of applications begins December 5, 2016; position is open until filled.
Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. For inquiries: firstname.lastname@example.org.